Sunday, August 22, 2010

Reading is great - it cracks open the world to me

I am really gelin' (a la Dr. Scholl's)
with the theme of this blog. Lovely life after college. Reading to my heart's content because I have more free time with my down time (what I mean by this is that I have no homework, club responsibilities, etc. keeping me from doing things for pleasure). Reading for pleasure brought me to the article I want to share with you here: Smart, Young, and Broke
White-collar workers are China’s newest underclass.

Like I wrote in the title of this article, reading cracks open the world to me. It's a heartbreaking read, but a great one. As much as we complain about working 40 hours a week (or like this past week I worked about 50...), and having to work our way up the totem pole, and not having enough money for our must-buy items - in America, people who have a skill above physical labor are not "ants." Life after college is not without trial, but at least the hard work we put in for college is paid back to us. We can spend money and time on our friends' life-changing celebrations (like the bridal shower and bachelorette party I went to this weekend for my best friend since second grade!) The uncertainty, worry, and poor living conditions these young people are facing is just terrible. It is sheerly incredible to think of the variety of life experiences in the world we live in--and after I read the article, I thought that this would be a good thing to post to my blog, given my focus. As a reminder, but more than that as a powerful story about the people who belong to this community that I choose to blog about, and surely as a community of people I feel I belong to, even though they live halfway around the world, and I am sure I cannot properly understand their difficulties. Read and maybe you will feel what I feel to -- and that's what I love about reading and especially learning about real people - I feel so much closer to the world around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment