Sunday, November 21, 2010

Never be cool



"Forget about good, love your experiments, go deep, drift, and don't be cool. Never be cool. Free yourself from limits of this sort."
-Kate Figgins, a philosophical and moral touchstone that I'm blessed to have in my life. She is a ridiculously cool-cool girl BECAUSE she doesn't worry about being cool.

After college, there's this whole idea, that you've got to be a more grown-up version of yourself. While it's good to say, "This is the year I'm going to stop eating Taco Bell every weekend," or "--insert any other positive goal you want to do yourself for yourself (not for anyone else)--"; it's important to not keep yourself from doing what you want to do because you have to be a grown-up now. Life is hard enough on the other side of college, what with being financially responsible (planning a budget, saving, paying bills on time), and responsible to work. You have GOT to let loose and do what you want to do because that's what makes being responsible all worth it. My point is, you should be these people:



These people made the 12 hours I worked to produce this video (all in one overnight chunk!) so enjoyable. If you love Harry Potter, don't be too cool to go to the midnight showing and dress up. And please be willing to sing, and skip, and just be alive! That zest for fun, the bubbliness, that energy is so contagious. If you lose that, you lose the best part of you. Remember that no one is keeping score anymore of who is the coolest. You can surround yourself with people who love the same things you do - and you can celebrate that in some extraordinarily memorable ways. And a giddy USA TODAY employee might just document it.

3 comments:

  1. I should have included this in my post:
    "That's what I'm coming to realize is my philosophy too, and the logic behind the phrase "I'll be responsible when I'm 30" that I uttered a few months ago, which I have a feeling will get pushed back to 40 when that time comes, then 50, then 60... :)

    It's why I've also kind of liked that saying, "I'll sleep when I'm dead." There really is very little in this world that we don't have room or time for if we want it badly enough."

    I love how you live, Shenan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice blogging on life after college .. love it

    John Phanchalad at JP Digital Tech have a very good track record in digital media marketing. For more you can visit on http://johnphanchalad.com/merry-christmas-from-john-phanchalad/

    ReplyDelete